Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Child vs The Medicine

Tell me I'm not the only mother to deal with this.

My 10 year old son woke up this morning complaining he was going to be sick. Not much came up so I was figuring it was just sinus issues. A bit later he's covered in hives. Not good so off we went to the Doctor. Come to find out the poor boy has strep. Out come two prescriptions - one for the strep, one for the hives - however she said we can wait a day for the steroids to see if just being on the other will work.

A bit of info on this son - we believe him to have Asperger's Syndrome, but have opted not to have him formally tested (ie. - insurance won't cover it). With the exception of a few issues, he's doing well. Of course one of those issues is food - a sensory thing.

So we get home from the doctor's and the medicine can be taken with milk - so I mix it in, tell son to go drink up. He gets it all down but the last mouth full which ends up down the front of him. Okay - better than I expected.

Bedtime, he tries to sneak upstairs to bed but I call him back down to take his meds. He's already determined he's going to throw it up (this after throwing up the benadryl I gave him a half hour previous). I give him the choice - the med in the milk OR straight up. He opts for the milk - only not a full cup this time. I comply. Next minute he takes a swallow and makes a mad dash to the bathroom. UGH!!!

I try and reason with him - he just needs to drink it down and he will be fine. Meanwhile he's working himself into a panic. So I told hubby he has medicine duty. He gave him 10 minutes to drink it up or he would be giving it to him directly. I just stuck my head in the other room after not hearing anything and son is not there. I asked hubby if he took it and he said yes. I told hubby he has medicine duty for the next 5 days! lol

Time for son to learn how to swallow pills!!! We'll see how that goes since his father can't (won't) swallow them (2 children can - 3 to go).

0 comments: