Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snow Days

Being homeschoolers, we don't often get snow days when the schools around us do. Guess I'm just mean that way - but after all, they just had 3 weeks off for Christmas break.

Today was one of those days all the area schools were closed due to freezing rain and snow in our area. We did school, however they have canceled church for this evening - so we can stay in and keep warm. YEAH!!!

I do however remember snow days as a child. My sisters and I would spend the entire day outside. My grandparents lived next door to us. They used to be chicken farmers, and while they had retired when we were young, they still had a huge barn, with a long driveway that would amount to large snow piles in front of the barn. We would dig tunnels (horrors of horrors - as I tell my children their tunnels can't be any wider than 2 feet), sled down the piles along with the hills on the side of the barn and the other side of our house. Come in long enough to eat lunch then back out into the wonderful snow! We would take turns cross-country skiing with old skis that belonged to my father (until we got some of our own one Christmas). We attempted to ice skate on the "pond" behind the house (that was really more like swampy land with 2 inches of frozen water). Those were the days!

Today I avoid playing in the snow at all costs but I love to look at it, and actually enjoy being snowbound. Around here that doesn't happen too often - even when we do get dumped on. I just love hearing stories of southern towns who shut down with a couple inches of snow. I think it would take several feet of snow (as in 4-6) for our towns to be shut down.

So since my evening has now freed up - I think we'll play on the wii, and curl up with a good book. Which one of my current 5 should I read???

0 comments: